Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Everett

I'm stained with the stench of my home town tearing,

from the Bel-Nes Cafe to the Sportscenter Lounge.

Viscous remembrances of paternal delrium,

dripping down Hewitt and Broadway and Hoyt.

I'm born from the edges of Herfy's and heartache,

from C. Van's, cirrhoses and China Doll strokes.

No cruising Colby, I'm merely Wetmore and walking,

eyes burning head down holes through the cracks.

His revelry on Hewitt dries to Strand Hotel sickness,

let loose of his feelings into porcelain streams.

I'm the sour-mash scion of a Foster Brooks plumber,

in the shadows of a pulp mill and a hangar and a hate.

2 comments:

  1. If you live in Philly, why do you care about Everett so much? I've lived here for too many years. Everett has no identity and is boring as shit. I would rather live in Philly, which is near someplace I lived as a kid-Dillsburg, PA

    Sorry Charlie, Everett's the City That Never Wakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born and raised in Everett, so my childhood recollections are intertwined with it. I'm not sure how you got the impression I liked the town, though (the memories here are all decidedly bleak).

    ReplyDelete